Building Expansion


Building Expansion: 1961 to 1964 

In 1958 the government began planning for an ambitious expansion programme for Teacher Training Colleges.   At Bretton, the West Riding County Council committed itself to a programme which would allow the number of students to be increased from 155 to 300.


The required  new buildings at Bretton were completed during the period 1961-63.

The new accommodation included:

      • residential hostels for 140 students,
      • dining hall and kitchen,
      • Art department,
      • Music School,
      • Library,
      • Gymnasium
      • Science department.

The total cost was to be between £350,000 and £400,000.

The student accommodation hostels were occupied for the first time at the start of the autumn term in 1962

Click on image to enlarge