Recollections of Students and Tutors
• "The 1949 intake comprised fifty-six students. We were a motley group: school leavers, National Service men, mature students, recent graduates, all teacher-training applicants, but we jelled as a family."
• "1949 was still a time of rationing so we all brought our ration books. I remember being always hungry!"
• "In those early days after our arrival we were informed that an important cultural role had been reserved for us in the post-war world. (1949)"
• "Bretton life was technicolour because I was in love with the building, the countryside and my fellow students." - (1958)
• "We skated, and fell on the frozen lakes and when we drilled into the ice sheet, it measured nine inches." - (1963)
• "Bretton Hall meant so much to me. I left the area in 1989, but whenever I see the mast at Emley Moor it still feels like coming home." (1989)
• "In our first year everything was new, and after our first Open Day (when everybody had to be a performer, chair-mover, host and dishwasher simultaneously), we sat down exhausted but triumphant, to feel that we really had become a community. " (Recollection by Daphne Bird in 1964.)
The list below contains links to a variety of fascinating recollections of students' experiences at Bretton.
Would you like to add yours? Contact Alan Parker - the site manager .
To read a Reminiscence, click on the appropriate name.
Dorothy Morris (née Cropper) 1949-51
Fred Sumner 1949-51
Leslie Burtenshaw 1949-51
Heather Watkinson 1949-51
Paul Gandy 1951-53
Shelagh Johnson (née Allen) 1956-58
David Wigley 1958-60
Freda Morgan 1958-60
Idris Rees 1959-61
Janet Deakin (née Dawson) 1960-63
Michael Talbot 1961-64
Malcolm Bentley 1963-66
Ken Stott 1963-66
Peter Castle 1965-68
Aureol van Someren 1966-69
Alan Parker 1968-71
David Tandy 1968-71
Hilary Roper 1968-71
Jim Gordon 1968-71
Liam Arthurs 1968-71
Marcia Corfield 1968-71
Sandra Wicks 1968-71
Jan Reynolds 1969-72
Jim Gordon 1971-74
Dianne Welch (née Bosely) 1977-80
David Newland 1984-87
Andrew Talbot 1987-90
John Tudor 2002-05